Wednesday, May 25, 2011

17 More Days.

I can’t even believe it. Only 17 more days to go until I begin my trip back home, which includes a 4-day stop in Sydney. After that is going to be an incredibly long trip- the flight to Sydney is 4 hours, the flight to LAX is 13.5, then I have about a 7 hour layover in LAX, then a 4 hour flight to Chicago, an hour layover there, then a 2 hour flight to Boston. So total that is about…32 hours of travel time? Awesome…


Anyways, here are a few things I’ll miss about Western Australia (besides the awesome friends I made here of course!)

-The Fremantle Market

-Always being able to predict that it will be sunny out with 98% certainty- 100% this summer, where it didn’t rain the first 3 months I was here.

-Buskers and street performers in Fremantle

-The Kulbardi Aboriginal Centre- I took a class here called “Indigenous Sustainability,” and as part of the class we were often invited to small events like a smoking ceremony (a eucalypt fire at the ceremony and you walk though the smoke), a cultural ceremony where we got to sit in a tepee and listen to a didgeridoo player, and a bunch of lunches and barbecues. It was really nice to be able to do that kind of stuff in a small community in the backyard of the building.

-The coffee culture- There are heaps of really cool coffee shops around, all different kinds. Also, having lattes as the regular coffee makes them so much better- the baristas make it like art. A guy at my work can write people’s names and draw pictures in them and they are always so good.

-The paychecks- only getting 5 hours a week of work during school isn’t so bad when the minimum wage is $20/hr.

-The amazing wildlife, especially the birds!

-The pristine beaches, always with a big grassy park behind it.

-King’s Park

There is a lot more but those are the major ones. I’ve been speed limited on my internet (one thing that I definitely will NOT miss) so I won’t be able to do a picture post until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment